Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Bye Bye Birdie!!

Well, today was a big day for our little camper! We made a big step and tore out the middle vanity thing between the two beds. When we took off the top counter part, we discovered that there were originally two spots for a stove and a sink, along with the water and propane lines. (Forgot to take pictures!) We ripped out that entire cabinet, and we will either find a nice bathroom type vanity to put there, or my handy-dad will construct one from fresh. :D I am still trying to decide if I want to keep at least a small sink in there for fresh water. I am fairly certain that I will decide against a stove because I would like the extra space.

We also discovered that the camper has electric brakes! That's a pretty big thing for such an old trailer! (or so says my dad, lol) My dad also got to looking at the fuse box that is located inside the cabinet above the now-extinct sink/stove cabinet and discovered that the electricity was not properly grounded! :-o We even spied some carbon marks where there were a couple close encounters with fire. That's not good! So, the trailer will have to be re-wired for electricity. No biggie though -- my dad can do it, our neighbor is REAL electrician and Husby has a cool friend who has already offered to help out with wiring.

Next step .. most likely ... floor replacement!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

5 comments:

HMaas said...

Coming along nicely - so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

I think it is a good idea not to put in a stove because you'll be camping that's what a grill is for :D Plus the extra room will be nice but I think a sink will be handy for water, washing hands etc.... It's coming along very nicely :)

algae girl said...

I love your trailer- saw your post on crafster. My husband and I are in the middle of our 1966 Santa Fe Trailer project! If you need a cheap fix for an underside coating- we used black asphalt fence post paint. It is cheap and easy enough to apply so the bottom of your trailer gets protected from the road/weather! Good luck.

HMaas said...

Ran across this blog you may find interesting... http://thetincancottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

It's 2011 now. Did you finish your camper? We have a 69 Play Mor and I would love to see some finished pics of yours.